Guidelines for filling a shoebox
How much should I spend?
$25 is good, $35 is better. Don't spend too little, if your budget will let ya. This is a hard one since everyone has different budgets - but there's lots of good deals out there, shop around!
Shoe shops stock, shoe-boxes lots - Dr. Seuss
OK, he didn't really say that. If you don't have a shoebox, check with your closest shoe shop. Most will have a few spare.
No hand-me-downs or second-hand-gowns. There's charity bins for that.
No second hand gifts please. It doesn't matter how nicely wrapped it is, a second hand gift is still somebody's else left-overs. Your kid deserves their own.
The shoebox size is a guide hun, don't stress if it's not inside one.
Please make sure your gift is inside a box. It doesn't have to be in a shoebox but your gift will be transported, sorted and stacked so make sure it's protected. And remember the safety of our elves, they're too small to pick up a bike!
There are more guidelines as well as a list of drop off points at the bottom of the page, but here's a short and sweet summary;
- Buy the gifts
- Put them in a shoebox (or other box)
- Wrap the box and include the kid's name, ID number (if applicable), School (if applicable).
- If your present is going to a Women's Refuge Centre or is a 'make up' present please just label it "To a cool 7 year old boy", "To a cool 6 year old girl" etc.
Gift ideas for Boys
- Mini Basketball - Rebel Sports
- Cars sticker book
- Playdoh set (Cars playdoh - I like this gift)
- Fishing game
- Set of cars and trucks
- Little box of lego (2 men in a boat)
- Small Frisbee
- Plastic dinosaurs
- Pairs card game
- Flip car
- Superman towel with hood
- Superman socks
- Bouncy ball
- Wiggly plastic snake
- Snorkel and Mask from the Warehouse
- Star Wars toy - $30 down from $89 at The Warehouse
- Smiggle alarm clock - usually about $30 but I got this for free with my reward card!
- Smiggle light up football keyring - Approx $13
- Nerf pocket aero flyer -$5 down from $7 from The Warehouse.
- Star Wars Micro Machines Battle Set - $14.99 down from $44.99 from Farmer
- Deflated soccer ball and pump
- Nerf ball - $16 down from $30 at Farmers
- Nerf N-Strike gun $10 from The Warehouse
- Smiggle Watch - $30
- Friction pens
- Water Balloons
- Air Lounger
- Table Tennis
- Mini Speakers
- Mine Craft
- Rugby ball
- Nerf Gun
- Cricket Set
- Remote Control helicopter
- Star Wars notebook from Typo
- Rubix Cube / Brain Teaser puzzle
- Clothes voucher from Cotton On
- Foldable Scooter
- Mini Speaker
- Rugby Ball
- Shower gel/Lynx pack
- Rubix Cube
Gift ideas for Girls
- ‘Paint brush’ felt pens
- Twistable coloured pencils
- 'Frozen' sticker book
- Books and stickers - Whittcoulls
- Toys - www.mightyape.co.nz
- Skipping rope - $2 shop
- Book - The Magic Fairy series
- Spirograph set
- Card game
- Knuckle bones
- Bouncy ball
- Strawberry Lip Gloss - Body Shop
- Gas Out game - The Warehouse
- Smiggle stationery
- Nail Polish
- Face masks
- Nice diary
- Accessories from Factorie/CottonOn
- Beach towel
- 'Colouring books for adults'
- Anything from Typo
- Anything from Lush (bath-bombs, hair products, bubble bars)
- Light Box from KMart
Where do I drop off my shoebox?
BNZ Kilbernie - click for address and opening hours
BNZ Petone - click for address and opening hours
TradeMe - 2 Market Lane, Level 5 (Corner of Wakefield and Taranaki St).
Mitre10 Mega Porirua - click for address and opening hours
BNZ Upper Hutt - click for address and opening hours
BNZ Lower Hutt - click for address and opening hours
BNZ Paraparaumu - click for address and opening hours
BNZ Waikanae - click for address and opening hours